Sunday 28 June 2020

Postcard 9: Medusa (Part 1)

A few days ago, whenever it was, when I was working on the background for "Restart from Zero", I wrote alongside some of the sketches I was making, "Medusa. Death as Pieta." That was to remind me of tthe image thatt had just come into my head of Michelangelo's famous sculpture with Death taking Mary's place and Medusa from Cellini's Perseus in the place of Christ. I enlisted these guys to help me cobble the picture together.
Because Cellini's Medusa is quite twisted on the shield and cushion arrangement, I needed a more relaxed lower body for this pose. This is where I've got so far. The upper body and arm is based on Cellini.
I was going to have drapery over whatever it is Death is sitting on, but I'm inclined to leave everything black. But I'm working out how to do a suggestion of blood dripping from the neck into a pool on the floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment