Tuesday 23 June 2020

Postcard 4: Castle in the woods (part 1)

Made some reasonable progress this morning, so I'll share some pictures showing how the design developed.
This was my original scribble. The song uses the castle as a metaphor for how hard it is to reach someone in the throes of depression. And if you do manage to reach them, then you're probably not in good shape yourself... So that's kinda where I get this picture of Death as a damsel in distress.
The left hand picture here shows that I changed the design from the battlements to a window. And the right-hand page is a large-scale drawing of the skull. I hung my model skull at the top of a door frame so that it would give me a slightly elevated perspective.
And this is the scaled final version I traced on to the block, which I then inked. Once I do the first proof, most of the ink will wash off, so I need to cut enough away so that I know where I'm going before I print anything. The costume is late fifteenth century fashion. Tall hats and cleavage-revealing dresses, and a bit power-dressing around the shoulders.

No comments:

Post a Comment