Thursday 1 April 2021

Olympia

Another naked woman on a postcard.

I did a bit of organising of the big sheaf of art postcards we’d collected over the years. (Who knew we had so many Madonna and Child postcards?) Anyway, among the nudes/Venuses was the Venus by Titian in the Uffizi (I think it was previously called the Venus d’Urbino, so was probably in the hands of the Montefeltro family at some point). The painting was the inspiration for Manet’s Olympia, so I thought I’d do my own version.

The young woman in Manet’s painting looks like a girl I was at school with, so I’ve always felt a bit weird about it. Also her hand is definitely more “Keep Out!” than the Titian. So Titian it was. I thought I’d portray her with eyes closed here, putting her in her own internal world. Enjoying whatever fantasy is on her mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment