Thursday 15 April 2021

Ghostly Maenir


I felt that the original Maenir print didn’t achieve quite the vibe I wanted, but I thought recently there was maybe a smaller print in there, trying to get out. So I’ve brought her back for an experiment, printed against a roughly-cut and gnarled-up block, around 10”x8” in size.

I like the background block. There’s something that says pine forest to me, or some kind of mountain landscape maybe. Or pines on a moor. (It’s just occurred to me that pine moor is “Matsubara” – my favourite Japanese woodblock artist). A good place for this standing stone.

This rendition makes her more ghostly. And some of the early impressions came out even more so. She looms out of the subtle broken-up landscape, like out of a fog. Maybe she’s more like Kate Bush’s poor, dead Cathy here, “Heathcliff, it’s me, your Cathy, I’ve come home. I’m so cold. Let me in your window.”

No comments:

Post a Comment