Wednesday 24 March 2021

Arrangement: Flowers, Incense, Tank


A still life. I felt it was about time I did another one. The great thing about still lives is that you are in control. You decide what is in… and what is out.

I had done some colour work involving over-printing with extended inks in the “Pestilence” prints and the Christmas card. So this one is the next step. Using pink, yellow and greenish-grey – sometimes over-printed. Sometimes not. The use of colour is intended to camouflage the tank, to make it the third or fourth thing you see. I feel that left as a black-and-white print, everything would be there at once. So it makes the extra bother of colour worthwhile.

I’m trying out mixing textures here. The smoothness of the incense burner. The gnarly raku texture of the vase. The dull flatness of the tank. Again this pushes the tank back, pushing it into the shadows.

This is a picture about feminine pursuits. Our son showed us the Japanese anime series “Girls und Panzer” which gave me the insight into what could be included in what is essentially a flower picture. And broaden the scope of the “girly”.

No comments:

Post a Comment