Thursday 22 July 2021

The one about the bundle of myrrh


This is the third of my Song of Solomon prints. It is Chapter 1, Verse 13, “A bundle of myrrh is my well-beloved to me, he shall lie all night between my breasts.” 

The verse conjured that post-coital moment where the man instantly crashes out and the woman is left wanting to talk about bundles of myrrh and stuff. She is of course putting a brave face on it.  

The design for the woman came together quite quickly. There is a bit of this naked woman postcard in her. He was something of a challenge though, it was hard getting him sufficiently lifeless. I quite like the Harry Potter arm thing that just happened in one of the various versions. I think it’s him starting to turn to jelly. 

I fiddled around with colour – I thought maybe some shadows because it is night, but decided to just colour the carpet/bedspread to make it more en suite with the other two prints. 

I was delighted to find that Lovis Corinth did illustrations for the Song of Solomon back in 1911. There are 28 illustrations, though it seems plenty of them are vignettes and illuminated letters. Still, I don’t think I’ll do that many. I’ve got another 3 forming in my mind that are landscape, or rather marine format. So I shall potter away at those and see if any others occur. I’ve also got another, non-Biblical picture I’m working on for a competition thing. So I need to let that one develop, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment