Wednesday 7 July 2021

The fig tree putteth forth her green figs….


The second of my illustrated verses from the Song of Solomon. This one is Chapter 2, Verse 13, “The fig tree putteth forth her green figs, and the vines with the tender grape give a good smell. Arise, my love, my fair one, and come away.”

This image evolved quite a bit during its making. I was always going to have the woman, the man and the fig, but the composition changed as I went along.

I did use the woodcut of the fig I did earlier, but I originally had in mind using it with very opaque ink, partially obscuring the couple. In the end I liked the semi-transparent green, so I overprinted the green on to a more detailed black lino print of the fig.

The woman is based on the same drawing I used for the postcard of a few days back, but simplified and reversed colour-wise. With the man, the earlier postcard print gave me the slightly gnarly look I was after. His pose came to me as I was talking to some visitors during WOS. I told them I wanted him reaching down and taking her hand, and it sounded right, so that’s what I went for.

I like the black/smooth of the woman contrasted with the white/rough of the man. It gives a bit of a yin/yang vibe to them. Deeply unfashionable, I know.

Over all, I’m pretty pleased with how this one turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment