Tuesday 26 November 2019

Rugby Open 19 (23 Nov 2019- 11 Jan 2020)

In mid-October, my wife came home from town with a card advertising for submissions to this annual art exhibition. So I decided to give it a go. My first thought was to submit Wolf in a Sheepskin – it was the standard I felt I had to aim for, anyway.

I was booked on a linocut workshop with Eric Gaskell at the beginning of November. Eric is a formidable printmaker and I attend a weekly art class he leads, so I knew I'd learn a lot. This is the print that emerged. The starting point was a few still-life drawings I had done at the other class. The skull, by the way, is a replica belonging to my son.



As I worked on the print, this Ernst Barlach/Kathe Kollwitz vibe emerged that I wasn't expecting when I started out. I was so pleased with it I thought I'd give it a name and enter it for the exhibition. (It's called “Still Life with wine Glass”.

My wife was away that weekend and I was on a roll, so I carried on over the next day or so to create another image. This one inspired by another Feline and Strange song that had been haunting me. Medusa is a song of rape survival and victim blaming. So the image is Medusa haunted by the frozen faces of those who hate her, always reminding her, even when she closes her eyes.



This one is a woodcut. It's different to lino in that it is inclined to fight back, and the act of creating the image requires more... violence. Which seems appropriate somehow.

Anyway, I decided both were better than Wolf, so I submitted both. A panel of 4 people, who change each year, decide which entrants should go into the exhibition. So I felt having 2 relatively different images increased the chance of at least one being chosen.

So I was delighted to get an email confirming that Medusa had been chosen. But when I turned up to collect the rejected print, it turned out that Still Life had been accepted and Medusa rejected. Administrative error. The plague of working life even affects art galleries. Just so you know.

Still delighted, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment