Saturday 17 September 2022

Figs


I felt it was my last chance to do some figs this year, with Autumn coming and all. I picked some ripeish ones and did some drawings before I ate them. Erich Heckel did a lithograph of 3 figs and a leaf in 1965, so this is me taking my hat off to him.

I decided on woodcut because it seemed a bit more “heritage” for the Heritage Open Days we’re doing at the Alex. And I like the texture. 

There's a sensuality about figs and I cut the one in half to emphasise their edibleness. And I wanted to eat some there and then. I'm pleased with how the colours work together on this one. I've been trying not to be intimidated by colour and have been letting each one assert itself as it will. I also rmember the Beano and other comics from when I was a kid and how sometimes the register would be a bit off and things would happen to the image. Not sure what, but "things". So I've been packing around the blocks on the press to achieve just the right level of offness...

No comments:

Post a Comment