Monday 15 February 2021

Porthcawl: After the storm


It’s my Aunty J’s 80th birthday this week. So I’ve been floundering around for days trying to come up with an idea for a card. All kinds of things have surfaced in my head. She was the village carnival queen in the late 1950s. I also remember her coming home (in her early twenties?) with a meat tenderising hammer (WTF?) and telling me it’s what undertakers used to make sure you were dead. Freaked me out for weeks, that did.

Anyway, she has lived in Porthcawl for many years now. The town seems to be most famous these days for photographs of gigantic waves battering the sea front. (Well, there’s also the Elvis festival, but we won’t go into that) She’s not been very well recently, so I thought a rainbow after the storm would hit the right note.

It’s also my little homage to Erich Heckel, whose wee print “Regenbogen” has recently been added to the Davies collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment