Thursday 18 February 2021

Creation (Meditation)




Yet another Meditation. Though it’s a little off the beaten track for me, in terms of the activity depicted. It’s been a long time since I made anything actually 3-D. This print began with me trying to come up with something logo-ish for a local artist/maker group. I thought (still do) that hands in the process of making was the way to go.

As much as I like this one, I think it says more about me than the group. Though I tried to move away from the stuff I do, it's still me. 

I’m drawn to the “chiselled” effect you can get with wood or lino prints. Something Ernst Barlach achieved in his graphic work. I like it when the work bears the marks that say, “This was made with sharp tools.”

It was also important, I felt, to show the hands and head as different kinds of things. Hence the very intense striations that make up the face. I’m quite pleased with how it turned out.

I’ve got a little haiku to go with this one, too.

Slowly cut and pared, The pain of all creation. A new form is born.

No comments:

Post a Comment