Saturday 31 October 2020

Inktober: Part 3

 

This is the final eleven.

21. Sleep. This owes a little to an Erich Heckel print I’ve got in my mind. But I used the girl action figure as model. Did a drawing. Decided to crop it and focus in closer. Then closer again. There is pencil under this one.
22. Chef. I worked in a kitchen once. Washing up. The chef was an enormously fat man who sat on a wheeled stool and scooted himself from stove to stove. Slight homage to him, here. Did a rough sketch elsewhere and then did this one straight to ink.
23. Rip. Almost a meditation. Maybe it will be. I never use a shredder. Once you know how the grain in the paper goes, you can tear it into quite thin strips. I did 2 drawings of my hands trying to do this. A right handed drawing of my left and a left handed drawing of the right. Then I selotaped them together. I used that as the basis for the under-pencilling here. Quite a roundabout process.
24. Dig. Y’dig? Whatever it is, this cat’s diggin’ it. Some groove goin’ down. Yeah. Did it all, man. Did it all.
25. Buddy. Our great-nephew has a plush dog he calls, “Buddy”. So that got me thinking a child’s special relationship with a doll. I’ve seen a number of “Kind mit Puppe” (they’re nearly always German) prints and paintings recently and been reflecting on how these pictures are a version of Madonna and Child. So this. Did a very rough sketch and similar pencil under the ink. I was tempted to leave it at the grey stage. Maybe I should have.
26. Hide. A kind of Self-Portrait as Claudius here. There were all kinds of things that could have been the subject for this one. Even thought of a cow hide on the ground. But the great tradition of not hiding very well won out. So the great Ur-hider himself. Did some sketches of me messing with a towel in the mirror, then straight to ink.
27. Music. Can’t really separate the music from the musician, I think. These are based on Bob Downes’ hands. He has long fingers. I did a quick scribble while watching a video of Bob playing. It was a bass flute, so I shortened it somewhat to get the hands in. But that’s what art does, doesn’t it?
28. Float. Lots of things this could have been. So a touch of gone fishing. Felt like that this morning. Put a sign up on my door. Just went for this one, no pencil.
29. Shoes. Now we’ve been here before. Went for the obvious here. Just took out a pair of my wife’s shoes and drew them. Some pencilling under the ink.
30. Ominous. The rain is coming and there’s no escaping it. Sometimes you get a glimpse of how big clouds are. Wanted to convey something of that. Not sure how successfully. Straight to ink with the picture in my head.

31. Crawl. Used the female action figure with a dusting of Egon Schiele I think. Did a number of preliminary drawings. Crawling is not something I’d tried to convey before. Maybe she’s looking for a contact lens. There is pencil under, as you might expect. 

I really quite enjoyed this month. A good excuse to do some drawing before breakfast. Maybe I'll do it again next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment