Saturday 10 October 2020

Inktober: Part 1

 My son mentioned this to me during September. He does manga-style drawings and thinking of giving this challenge a go. I said if I did it I’d do quick things with a sumi brush and indian ink. I then didn’t really give it another thought until October 1st. I’ve only been sharing these with my son and not doing the social media thing, but I thought I’d put them here in 3 blocks of 10ish cuz you never know, one or two of them might turn into something one day. They are all in a little 13cm square sketchbook.

 

1. Fish. I did this one in a bit of a rush just to get something down. Otherwise I might not have started. We’d got one of these fish vase/pots in the garden and I’d got it in the shed to clean it up, so it was the handiest fish, really. I did some pencil under drawing on this one.

2. Wisp. Used some watered-down ink on this one, and then full-strength over. First picture that came into my mind. Woman with tightly pulled-back hair with that one wisp escaped. No under drawing here. Just went for it.

3. Bulky. Sumo of course. I did a rough drawing elsewhere and then did an ink version here.

4. Radio. Seemed an oddly old-fashioned subject. So I’m trying for a 1950s/1960s thing here. Maybe she’s looking sad because it’s a sad song, or she realises that she’s a nostalgic image of something that’s already past. I borrowed the drawing of her from one I did some years ago. I don’t thing I did under drawing here. I can’t remember. Can’t see any.

5. Blade. The sharpest blade in our house is the bread knife. This one involved lots of squinting in the mirror with the knife in my wrong (left) hand. Anyway, could be an idea for a meditation, maybe. Definite under-drawing on this one.

6. Rodent. My son did an art thing when he was 11 that involved drawing rats. It’s something that has stuck in our minds. We’ll always know how to draw a rat. This one is more Rat Couchant, rather than the Rat Rampant of my new year card. Sketch elsewhere and no under drawing.

7. Fancy. Fancy? My mind went to Hazlitt’s essay, “The Fight” in which he excitedly relates watching some bare-knuckle boxing. The Fancy. Used my little action figure here because he’s built like a boxer, though the guy in the picture turned out more … late career. Did a sketch elsewhere and no under drawing.

8. Teeth. My parents were of the generation where you had your teeth taken out as a 21st birthday present. So these things were always knocking around the house when I was a kid. I must’ve been maybe 16 when I last looked at a set of dentures. My teeth are getting gappy enough to justify them for me soon, maybe. Some under drawing for this one.

9. Throw. Action figure again. I draft him in for the athletic stuff. No under drawing, painted from life, as it were.

10. Hope. That kind of light in the darkness thing. Whether it’s for a boat or a wayfarer, or whether its the people inside hoping that the wanderer returns, we’ll never know. Just went for this one. No under drawing.

 Anyway. More to follow in about 10 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment