Saturday 20 May 2023

Unser täglich Brot


 Gieb uns heute.

An old bread board. Instead of throwing it out, or burning it, I decided to make a woodcut. I went for Uncle Death again, because he looks like he could use a sandwich...

I was channeling a lot of artists here. Tal R with the breadboard, though mine was a boring rectangular one. But also Naoko Matsubara and Shiko Munakata, because I decided to cut directly into the block without any preparatory drawing - and let it just take the shape it wanted to.

It's not a great piece, but it's somehow better than it deserves, having taken shape during what I guess Tal R means by "free falling". I tried different papers, too. First the card I normally use, then some Shoji paper which better shows the grain and the cuts and gouges in the board surface.

No comments:

Post a Comment