Wednesday 25 August 2021

Concentration


My wife has a “hole” in the vision of one eye, caused by a bleed inside the eyeball. It apparently manifests itself as a greyish patch in the middle of her field of vision. Most of the time the “good” eye compensates and she hardly notices. But when she’s concentrating, or doing close work she needs to close the “bad” eye as it interferes too much with what she’s seeing. 

It’s normally when she’s occupied with something that I can manage to try a quick drawing before she moves. I decided to work this one up as a print. I felt I’d captured something of her in the way she unequivocally screws that eye shut. No half measures. 

Interestingly Edvard Munch developed a similar complaint and, being Edvard Munch, painted what it looked like several times. Check it out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment