Sunday 20 June 2021

Not the Rokeby Venus

 


It has been about 6 weeks since I’d done any cutting. I’ve been too busy printing, framing, hanging and all kinds of other stuff in preparation for Warwickshire Open Studios.

So I thought I’d do another postcard while waiting for visitors yesterday. Get my hand in again. I’d been aiming to do a version of Velásquez’ Venus and I’ve done a good few drawings. But I didn’t feel happy. It just seemed too much of a copy. So I expanded my range of inspirations for nudes-from-the-rear. The woman here is based on one by Ferdinand Hodler in his painting Night.

She seems more relaxed, somehow. And she has … feet! Feet are so difficult to do, even Velásquez and Manet side-step the problem. But I wanted to do some feet in this one. Tiny ones cut out of lino.

What she’s doing in Velásquez’ studio, I don’t know. On the mobile phone, probably.

No comments:

Post a Comment