Sunday 31 January 2021

Portrait of the Artist with Five Fingers

 


I am drawn to drawing my own hands because they are so… handy. I began work on this one while waiting for a new tyre to be fitted on the car. These days, waiting rooms are empty of interesting folk to draw. So, your five-fingered friend. he never lets you down.

Invariably I draw my left hand. As the image is reversed in printing it, it comes out looking like my right anyway. If I need both hands, I usually draw my left hand twice and flip one of them.

But this time the two hands were different kinds of things. A picture of a hand, and a picture of a drawing of a hand. So I didn’t want them both looking like how I draw a hand. So I drew my left to stand in for my right hand as usual. Then I drew my right hand with my left. So the hand in the picture is the hand that drew the drawing of a hand in the picture. Or something. I think it’s kinda neat, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment