Friday 3 July 2020

Postcard 13: Vanity Fair

Finished! Well, I say finished but I have grown the idea in my head that I should make all these into a book with the verses carved in blocks to show on the page facing each print. Well, that's the idea, though it's scaring me a bit right now.
And with this verse:

Go smooth your skin, go dye your hair.
Go chase your youth, lost long back. Where?
You duck and dive, what vanity,
To try to dodge your dance with me!

Death's final dance turned into a tango in the end. Strangely...appropriate. My original scribbles suggested a much more raucous affair. But as the series developed, this seemed to work better for my Death.
But then other influences came into play. Munch who was a big influence on the dress. And Gauguin's print, "Te Faruru" from which I took the position of the two heads and the draped arm. I also called on the team again to strike up the pose.
He dropped her, so is having to apologise. But I got this drawing in before the accident.
The first proof was over 90% of the work, so little change once I got the outline down.
And twelve of these printed.

No comments:

Post a Comment