Saturday 13 May 2023

Cement


 Sometimes you have the urge to make something, but just don't have the strength. I cut a block of around 20cm x 25cm to do this print. But I just couldn't. So I took a postcard-sized offcut and did a small one instead. It seemed more manageable. And if it worked out, I could do a larger one another time. I could send a postcard to my future self to say, "Try this."

Anyway, Rugby Cement Works. Looming over the nearby houses. Wherever you are, it seems to be on the horizon, a vague grey mass. Something like Howl's Moving Castle.

The drawing was from memory, so only presents a rough idea of reality anyway. So the fact I just drew it on the block and it's come out mirror image, kinda makes it Every Cement Works in a way. 

When I was a kid, there was a carbide works a few miles off from where I lived. No matter how close you got, it remained a flat, black profile. There was no detail you could see, it was so black. Then it was demolished and they built a gearbox plant on the site. Years later and the Bhopal disaster hit the headlines. And there it was, the matt-black monster dominating the town. I've only remembered this after doing this print. Funny how these things will out.

No comments:

Post a Comment